Anointing of the Sick
If you, or someone you know, would like to receive the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick, please contact the parish office to arrange a time for Fr Peter to visit you.
Please note that an Anointing Mass is held on the last Friday of each month at 9:15am.
Fr Peter is very happy to meet with anyone considering a vocation to the priesthood or religious life. The parish also maintains its relationship with the Sisters of St Joseph. Please contact the parish office to make an appointment to see Fr Peter.
Preparing a funeral is a sad, and often sudden, task. In the darkest times we are attempting to gain comfort and solace from our faith in God and celebrate the life of someone we love.
If you would like the funeral of your loved one to be celebrated at St Columba’s, please contact the parish office to arrange a time for Fr Peter to see you. It is essential to consult the priest regarding the day and time of the funeral and not leave this to the funeral directors.
Many people like to put together a funeral booklet, which serves not only as an order of service but as a memento to the funeral. When planning booklets, remember that the liturgy is essentially a prayed event and not a read one. The following pointers may help:
- Music should be appropriate to the Church setting
- Eulogies should be kept brief (a maximum of 5 mins)
- If the mourners are not frequenters of Mass it is more appropriate to celebrate a funeral outside of Mass.
- It is customary for someone other than the celebrant (priest) to read the first reading, responsorial psalm, second reading and prayers of the faithful.
- Always consult the celebrant before printing the booklets.